I know that a lot of people set some money related resolutions and goals for 2011, so I thought it would be fun to share this tutorial for how to beautify a small accordion folder. Since most of the options out there are pretty boring hopefully having a pretty carrier will help you stay on top of couponing, your envelope cash only system or other money organizing goal.
(click on the image to see a larger view)
What you'll need:
- small accordion file (I found a bunch in the 1$ section at target recently sometimes the dollar store carries these)
- bias tape (I made my own out of fabric but you can buy plain bias tape in packages)
- fabric (use a scrap or if you're buying some a fat quarter is plenty)
- a heavy needle (I used a 100, something for denim would be good)
- fray check
- paper clips
1. Get your supplies together. Remove the elastic from the folder.
2. Trim the width of your fabric to be the same as the width of your folder.
3. Wrap it around so you can figure out the length of the fabric and then trim.
4. Trim and pin the bias tape to one of the short edges of the fabric. For the part that goes on the inside of the folder I just sandwiched the main fabric in between the bias tape. If you want a strip across the back (on the outside trim two).
5. With the bias tape pin position the bias tape with the right side of the fabric facing you and wrap it over the flap of the folder. Use paper clips to hold the fabric in place. If you want a strip across the back just align it so that it is on the other side of the fabric but pretty much in the same place as the bias tape that's on the inside. Now it's really awkward, but sew (with a heavy duty needle) across the bias tape. If you use a zig zag stitch you don't have to be that perfect. Also I was really nevous so in the beginning I used the hand wheel to stitch the first couple of stitches and then I went really slow. So now the flap should be covered. (note I was dumb and pinned all around the folder first but that's unnecessary and makes your life harder, so it may look a tad different in the picture)
6. Wrap the fabric around so it's flush find where the round thing is that the elastic hooks on and mark the length.
7. Sew a button hole. Cut it and pop the round thing through it.
8. Now paper clip bias tape all around the folder sandwiching the edges of the folder between the bias tape. You might want to fold it in some places to get it to lay better. (Even though I wasted time and had mine in multiple pieces you can just use one piece and it should turn out better than mine, I realized this after I had already cut pieces)
9. Stitch all around. Go slow you may have to use your left hand to move the other parts of the folder so they don't get caught on the edge of your machine.
10. Poke a hole where the elastic hole was. If you want you could put an eyelet, but I thought it was too bulky and my eyelet thing is packed.
11. Fray check the hole. Replace the elastic
12. Fill with coupons or cash and take control of your finaces.
I hope all of that made sense. Feel free to ask questions in the comments, and I'll do my best to answer them. Or if you can explain a step better, please share it in the comments.
Here are a few coupon sites I like: