These muffins, chock full of grated carrot, apple, coconut, and studded with dried fruit and nuts, are as uncategorizable as they are delicious.
If you have any leftover muffins, place them on a baking sheet and freeze for 2 hours, then transfer frozen muffins to a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Thaw a frozen muffin in the microwave for a quick breakfast or snack, or put one in a packed lunch – it will thaw by lunchtime!Makes 14
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrot
- ½ cup raisins or dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- ½ cup shredded coconut (preferably unsweetened)
- 1 apple, cored and grated
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
2. Whisk flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in carrot, dried fruit, nuts, coconut, and apple.3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Pour liquid ingredients over dry and stir until just combined. Divide batter among muffin cups.
4. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are lightly browned and completely set in the center. Serve warm or at room temperature.