'Tis the season to break out hats and mittens and to start thinking about stocking stuffers and Christmas gifts! This tutorial should help you cross a few of the nice people off your list. Follow these easy directions below:
1. Cut a rectangle of polar fleece approximately 1/2" bigger than head measurement by 16"-18" tall, depending on how long you like your fringe. Don't worry, if it's too long you can always trim it later.
2. Cut one 1" by 10" strip, set aside.
3. Fold your fleece rectangle in half width-wise and stitch 1/2" seam allowance all the way from the top to the bottom of the hat lengthwise. Don't forget to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam.
4. Turn the bottom edge up 2.5". Pin in place, and stitch the edge down. I prefer to zig zag this as it allows for a bit of stretching where as a straight stitch may break when its pulled over the head.
5. Bunch the top about 3-4" from the top of the hat. Lay your 1" by 10" strip of fleece under the hat.
6. Tie the strip in a knot--double knot this.
7. Cut the top into fringes 1" wide. Trim the strip to same length as the fringes. Voila, your hat is finished. Push the "easy" button.
Repeat and share the hat love!